False alarm. The flowers were placed on an empty desk. Sure it was very close to Betsy’s desk, but it was not actually Betsy’s desk!
Connor shouldn’t care so much, but that sense of panic was a bit close. Not on the day she looked so ravenously good. That panic had to go. A headache would come quick fast if he kept thinking this way.
This had to be yet another year where Betsy opted to go solo. It just had to be. The universe could not possibly still be punishing him for that horrible pickup line of the year before. And, worse, the universe couldn’t possibly be giving the brute another shot at sweeping her off her feet. No. Couldn’t be. Nope. Just…
FOCUS CONNOR! FOCUS!
There is work to do. You don’t care about Betsy. Focus
No matter, he was not going to ask. Nope. Not one bit. She was going to go alone this year. That should teach her to reject him and embarrass him. Connor knew this was ridiculous foolishness… but was his only ray of hope
Now, to find a date for himself and stress the point.
As Connor started to look through his LinkedIn profile for a potential date, the office erupted in cheers and applauses.
Looking up from his monitor his heart sank through the seat and straight to the basement.
Betsy’s face was beat red and that brute was holding her up as if he had won a trophy.. Spinning her around as her hands covered her mouth.
Did he… no… did…
Why Didn’t he Know
Connor felt sick. It all made sense. She was dating the beast of a brute. She was going to marry that guy. That was it. That is why he couldn’t get any traction with Betsy.
How did he not know?
How did he miss the clues?
Were there clues?
Yes, there were, but where? Sure, the rejection was plenty clue enough… but… why did his gut miss that?
How could he have failed to know?
She had been gracious and polite because she probably felt bad for his lack of skills and didn’t want to hurt him, though she did.
Connor, fearing an emotional meltdown, quickly made a swift exit to the emergency exit and high tailed it out of the office. He needed to go gather himself.
The whole tectonic plates below him had crumbled into the mantle of the earth and he was feeling extremely vulnerable and exposed. He had made a colossal miscalculation and he had to make sure that would never ever happen again, for as long as he lived.
Never would he allow his heart to fall like this again. He thought she knew about his feelings, clearly he didn’t know how to read feelings from women.
They were massively confusing. So hard to read and understand. He was better off swearing off women for life. His toys would be his comfort. His friends his social connection.
Betsy had ruined love for Connor permanently.
As his nerves started to settle, Connor searched his draft folder on his phone for that letter requesting an immediate transfer out of that office. There was no going back at all. This was the worse D-Day a man could suffer.
<the story continues with Her Side>
Editorial Note: Adding a list of the chapters via a more modern approach. Just click on the image or title to read more of the chapters you’ve yet to read. Updated September 2018. After the list of chapters will eventually be a link to the portfolio table of contents. That particular page will eventually hold any new updates and chapters to this story… should there be more.
- Just Ask Already! Prelude - There are office party traditions that make sense and others that just don't. Navigating about the holiday spirit and cheer is one thing, complicating it with the feelings of love is quite another. Will our story hero find love or just be the laughing stock of the holidays?
- Just Ask Already! His Side - A person can spend a lot of time thinking about what could have, should have, would have, might have... Connor knew only one thing, his heart ached to be with Betsy. Yet, far as he could tell, she wanted nothing to do with him. Could he be right? Could he be overthinking things? Could he be missing some facts? Holidays are the worst times to be so lovelorn and alone... if only some clarity could be found...
- Just Ask Already! Her Side - Why must men make things so difficult. All they have to do is just ask... and accept whatever answer they get. NO.. Men just love making things difficult. A woman can only do so much to drop a hint. Maybe, just maybe, taking the ball into her own court might do the trick. Men! Just Ask Already!!!
- Just Ask Already! Mr. Braum - When a good best friend could do, sometimes a 'higher' power is needed. There are people who want you to succeed, but you're not always aware of them. Those folks can offer that nice swift hard kick in the pants a best friend may not... just to get you moving towards love. Especially during the crazy times of the holiday season
- Just Ask Already! The Party - That moment of truth... the music is just right, the stars are all aligned... the girl is looking into your eyes.... and you look... away?!?! Seriously though? Now you look away? NO! Just Ask Her Already! Some fellas just don't seem to get it. How many more flares need to explode? He's gonna get the girl, right?
- Just Ask Already! Conclusion? - Sometimes, just sometimes, you get lucky and question your good fortune. You've got the gal. You've got the relationship. Yet, you're not sure how you got so lucky This.. this is where a gentle post-got-lucky-debrief is not overkill. That is if you've got the right friends helping you out. Just don't overthink too much.
- Just Ask Already! Epilogue - He finally asked!!!! This is the part where a Hollywood ending would be perfect. Yet, there are a few loose ends the reader will be left to handle Things change once the question is asked and the answer is to the affirmative Now it's time to celebrate
Your Portfolio Archive currently has no entries. You can start creating them on your dashboard.
Leave a Reply